The original Keystone Heights Airport was first constructed by the U.S. Army Air Force in 1942 when air fighting had entered its heyday during World War II. During this time, it served as the site of the AAFSAT Strategic Reconnaissance School until 1945. Fast forward to today, branches of Military still use the airport for training and plays host to private corporations that provide military and paramilitary training through Government contracts. Several flight contests and community events are also hosted here throughout the year.
This project began in September 2019 and was part of a phased rehabilitation of the re-fueling apron at the airpark. V.E. Whitehurst was awarded the project with AECOM as the consulting engineer firm. Associated Asphalt supplied StellarFlex FR® to V.E. Whitehurst for the final surface layer of P-404 for the re-feuling apron.
This was the second project that Associated Asphalt completed by our customer that utilized StellarFlex FR® and was the second project that the consulting engineer, Bill Prange of AECOM, specified this material in the state of Florida. This project was part of extensive growth in the Florida market for Associated Asphalt and we look forward to continuing to provide this high quality product for projects in 2020.